Kuleana Academy Alliance Education Partners:
Description: 4 Month Program
Five Weekend-long Retreats in leadership, skills training, and progressive issues education
Weekend Retreats (Saturday and Sunday): Leadership development, skills and campaign training sessions conducted by professional trainers, plus educational sessions on progressive issues led by Alliance Educations Partners. (**Order of topics may change**)
Retreat 1: Trainings: Goal setting, leadership development, community organizing, government and legislative process.
Issues Education: economic justice (cost of living, affordable housing).
Retreat 2: Trainings: Public speaking, writing, media, message development; campaign organization, materials.
Issues Education: environmental (development); labor (diversified economy).
Retreat 3: Trainings: Message refinement, materials development and sourcing; budget and fundraising planning; database management, endorsements. Issues Education: GMO/Pesticides/Agriculture (food security).
Retreat 4: Trainings: Boards and Commissions Leadership Training. Issues Education: civil rights/equality (healthcare, education).
Retreat 5: Trainings: leadership development, budget and fundraising planning, database management, endorsements.
Issues Education: Hawaiian/Cultural (sovereignty/self-determination)
Community-Based Hands On Experience
During these four months, Participant and Mentor shall do at least one common community or political activity of their choice.
- Participant shall participate in one additional group volunteer activity in each month of program (i.e. beach clean up, feed homeless)
- Participant shall participate in one public speaking activity in each month of program (i.e. Rotary speaker, classroom speaker, Toastmasters)
- Participant shall write and submit to a Hawaii news publications one letter to the editor or OpEd piece on any topic each month of program.
- Participant shall fundraise a minimum of $1000 to contribute to the program ($800 of which cannot be personal funds).
HAPA's Kuleana Academy is not an electoral activity; it is a non-partisan educational program. HAPA and the Kuleana Academy will not:
- endorse any political candidates for public office.
- make any campaign contributions (monetary or in-kind).
- ask candidates to sign pledges on any issues.